Email marketing is inexpensive. It is flexible, offering infinite variation. It provides excellent analytics. It has a proven track record to continuously reach audiences of any size and interest.
In the business world, results are arguably all that matters. With this in mind, the main reason that most businesses invest in email marketing is the fantastic return on investment. For every $1 spent on email marketing, $44.25 is the average return on investment. A number of sources have suggested that this is better than any other platform. So with that said, here’s some helpful information to keep in mind in your email marketing strategy.
OK – I want to give it a go but how do I start? First you need to make sure you have a way for people to easily join your list.
Here are some ways to grow your contact list:
1. Make it easy for people to sign up: Make your email sign-up form available on all of your social channels. You can include a sign up on Facebook and other social media pages, allow people to “text to join”, create a sign up tool on your websites and more.
2. Give your emails visibility: Share your newsletters and announcements on social media and on your website to extend your reach and attract new readers.
3. Offer an incentive: Create a special offer, discount or host a raffle or sweepstakes that encourages fans and followers to join your email list.
Now, what should you say? Keep your content useful to your readers, and you will keep them engaged in your emails:
1. Treat Your Readers Like VIP’s– Your subscribers should be excited to receive your emails. Alert your subscribers first to new product or sales.
2. Keep the Content Useful– People will not open an email that doesn’t provide them with benefits. Make sure the content you give subscribers is new and interesting. The goal of your email should be to keep your customers happy and loyal.
3. Show Your Personality– Your voice, tone and sense of humor are part of the reason why your reason your customers signed up with you in the first place. Use your personality to increase opens and drive traffic to your site.
4. Keep Your Content Simple and Short– Write for ‘scannability’. Mobile users prefer short emails (which will increase the click-through rate). Emphasize key offers and messages with emphasis (bold). Use one idea per paragraph. Don’t write in full sentences when a phrase can communicate the idea just as well.
5. Use the right tone of voice– Using words like “you” and “your” make the reader feel like the message was directed at them. Try to excite the reader’s emotions.
6. Make sure you are mobile! A recent study showed 79% of responders have their smartphones with them 22 hours per day, and today over 81% of emails are opened up on mobile devices.
At S!Y Communications we handle email marketing campaigns for a number of different clients from consumer, to business-to-business. Need help crafting your email marketing strategy and its implementation? Contact us for a review of your goals and how we can help you reach them.
S!Y Communications, Inc.