Habitat for Humanity’s First Affordable Housing Project in Salisbury
Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity (MVHH) and local supporters will come together Monday, November 19, 2018 at 2:00pm-3:00pm to kick off MVHH’s first construction project in the northernmost part of the 22 communities that MVHH serves.
Local dignitaries, community leaders, supporters and friends will meet at 22 Old County Rd, Salisbury, MA – the future site of seven decent, safe, affordable homes – three duplexes and one single home. MVHH is hoping to earmark one of the homes for a veteran family.
The project started with the generous land donation by Institution for Savings and will require the financial and volunteer support of the local community to complete the project.
This project will provide seven deserving families with the opportunity to own their home in Salisbury. The search for families has already begun with the application due November 16. Families qualify for homeownership based on need, housing situation and a willingness to partner. Each family must commit to a minimum of 250-360 ‘sweat equity’ hours in the effort to build their own homes.
To help jump-start the project, ten AmeriCorps NCCC volunteers will be joining MVHH for an entire month.
- The local key community leaders supporting the effort include:
- Stuart Johnson – MVHH board member and steering committee chairman (Newburyport, MA)
- Marty Mason – MVHH board member (Newburyport, MA)
- Howard Mandeville – MVHH board member and MVHH family selection committee chairman (Newburyport, MA)
- Dick Sumberg of The Financial Advisors – President of MVHH board (Andover, MA)
- Jim Materkowski and Candace Lord of The Green Cocoon (Salisbury, MA)
- Living Water Catholic: Star of the Sea Parish in Salisbury, MA and Holy Family Parish in Amesbury, MA
- Don Roberts, VFW commander and MVHH family selection committee member
- George Burtch, MVHH Salisbury steering committee member (Salisbury, MA)
- Bob Williams from Star Construction Company, MVHH Salisbury steering committee member (West Newbury, MA)
Merrimack Valley Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization dedicated to building affordable homes in the Merrimack Valley. Founded in 1985, we have delivered on our mission for close to 100 families to date. We are an independent local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, the largest non-profit homebuilder in the world. To help fund our work, we opened our ReStore where we sell donated appliances, furniture, building materials and home furnishings at greatly reduced prices. To donate, volunteer or learn more, please visit merrimackvalleyhabitat.org.