Old South Church, First Presbyterian
29 Federal Street, Newburyport MA 01950
Old South Church was built in 1756 and is one of the oldest wood frame churches in continuing use in New England. Its bell was made by Paul Revere, and its steeple guided ships to safe harbor in Newburyport. Built for the Rev. George Whitefield, a prime mover behind “The Great Awakening,” and who is buried beneath the church’s pulpit.