Spring 2018 Hydrant Flushing Begins April 17th
Newburyport—The Newburyport Department of Public Services Water Division will begin flushing the City’s water system on Tuesday, April 17th and flushing will continue through April. Flushing hydrants help to remove built-up sediments that settle in the water lines over time.
Beginning in the City’s west end and proceeding east, flushing in residential neighborhoods will take place between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Night flushing of the following large mains will take place from 8:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m.:
TUESDAY 4/17: Merrimac St. to Plum Island Turnpike
WEDNESDAY 4/18: High St. to High Rd. (NBY) to Tendercrop Farm
THURSDAY 4/19: Industrial Park area
Residents are advised to check the City’s website at www.cityofnewburyport.com for daily work locations.
During this flushing program, residents may experience low water pressure, temporarily discolored/milky water, air in pipes and at times, no water, although measures have been taken to minimize this inconvenience. The following suggestions will help avoid problems with discolored water:
1. Check for discolored water before running appliances that use water, such as dishwashers and washing machines.
2. If you have discolored water, wait until flushing is completed in your area, or at the end of each day running the cold water faucets should alleviate this problem.
3. Do not run hot water, as discolored water can get pulled into your hot water tank and take longer to clear up.
4. Avoid using bleach in laundry as this worsens any staining that may occur.
5. In the event clothes are stained, there are products available that will remove the stains when re-washing the clothes. The Business Office at 16C Perry Way has a supply of this product available to residents free of charge.
6. Do not dry stained laundry.
Contact: Karen Bush 978-465-4420
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICES
WATER/SEWER BUSINESS OFFICE
16C PERRY WAY
NEWBURYPORT, MA 01950