Skip to content

history

Untapped History

Untapped History is a historical walking tour company dedicated to sharing the unique and unconventional stories of Newburyport. We’re different and proud of it. Our tours are lively, entertaining and most importantly, well researched. Yes…we’ve met with historians, food experts, and preservationists to ensure our information is 100% accurate. Let us take you to back in…

Read More

First Religious Society Church and Parish Hall

26 Pleasant Street, Newburyport MA 01950 978-465-0602 The church building was constructed in 1801 by the First Religious Society, which was founded in 1726. It has been suggested that noted Salem builder Samuel McIntire designed the building. This place of worship was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Read More

Newburyport Superior Court House

145 High Street, Newburyport MA 01950 In 1804 Newburyport was ranked as one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, mostly due to the thriving shipping trade. In this year the townspeople authorized the building of a new courthouse and hired American architect Charles Bulfinch to design the structure and supervise its construction.

Read More

The Bartlet Mall

High Street, Newburyport MA 01950 Located near the Newburyport Superior Court House, the ancient glacial kettle hole is a jewel in the crown of Newburyport.The Mall, also known as “Frog Pond,” was modeled after London’s Pall Mall and is a popular destination for dog walkers, families feeding the ducks, and skaters during the winter months.

Read More

Oak Hill Cemetery and Chapel

Brown Street, Newburyport MA 01950 978-465-7959 Walk through the Oak Hill Cemetery and you’ll find the gravesites of clipper shipbuilder Donald McKay; authors; past mayors; and other prominent citizens. Consecrated in 1842, Oak Hill Cemetery is one of the first rural garden cemeteries in the United States.

Read More

Powder House Park

57 Low Street, Newburyport MA 01950 978-462-3459 The c.1822 Powder House, located a safe distance from the homes of the era at Goff’s Hill off Low Street, stored gunpowder, flints, musket balls, and camp kettles used by the local militia to defend the community.

Read More

The Coffin House

14 High Road, Newbury MA 01951 978-462-2634 Occupied by the Coffin family over three centuries, reveals insights into domestic life in rural New England.

Read More

Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm

5 Little’s Lane, Newbury MA 01951 978-462-2634 A family-friendly National Historic Landmark with activities for all ages. The 230-acre site includes a 1690 manor house that served as the country seat of wealthy Newburyport merchants and an attached farmhouse that was home to a Lithuanian family for most of the twentieth century.

Read More

Swett-Ilsley House

4 High Road, Newbury MA 01951 978-462-2634 The Swett-Ilsley House is an important early structure built in 1670 by Stephen Swett, one of the first settlers. Over the centuries, the building served as a tavern, chocolate shop, chandlery, and press room.

Read More
Scroll To Top